7.0 Beta: Middle-click not working!

I can't scroll down the PDF pages with the click of the scroll wheel of my mouse.188BET靠谱吗That also affects the scrollability of Zoteros pdf-view when used in the tablet mode of my Surface 3.
  • What exactly happens when you try to scroll?It doesn't scroll at all?
  • When I click it nothing happens.When I click and hold it, the text that I move over gets highlighted.
  • I have also been troubled by this!Is there any solution?
  • Scrolling on a touch device will be fixed in the next update.

That could potentially fix the middle-click triggered scrolling issue, but no guarantees, because I wasn't able to reproduce it.

Let us know if the issue is fixed.
  • edited September 8, 2023
    188BET靠谱吗I can reproduce the problem on a Windows 10 laptop, Zotero 7.0.0-beta.39+ecba25be0 (64-bit).I see the same with a MX Master 3 mouse or a basic Dell cabled mouse.
    Same also on Ubuntu 23.04.
    So it does not seem to be related to the touch device or the mouse type.

188BET靠谱吗In Zotero 6.0.27 (tested on a virtual Windows 10 on the same computer), the click of the scroll wheel of the mouse triggers the scrolling circle.
    188BET靠谱吗In Zotero Zotero 7.0.0-beta.39, it behaves the same as a normal left click.For example, it opens hyperlinks in the PDF file.
  • The Update just came in:
    7.0.0-beta.40+24ae34104 (64-bit)

Scrolling in tablet mode using touch input works just fine now!:)
    Scrolling by clicking the mouse-wheel is still not working...:(
  • I found this thread on a search.

188BET靠谱吗I'm running Zotero 7.0.0-beta.60+91e1c6ca3 (64-bit).
    I also noticed I cannot auto-scroll by clicking the mouse-wheel.

Is there any workaround this?
  • 188BET靠谱吗I have the same problem, i cannot using scroll with my mouse-wheel, and my Zotero version is 7.0.0-beta.65+b047f3d90 (64-bit).

What' more, I tried to scroll from another computers, with someone using a remote control tools, and he succeded.188BET靠谱吗So I doubt that this is not fully the problem of Zotero, maybe some problem else.

188BET靠谱吗Before that, I use Zotero 6, and Scorlling is OK for any of my mouse, but now it fails(I tried at least 2 different brands of mouse wih USB and Blueteeth connections both)

Really weird, and willing to give more details if needed.
  • 7.0 Beta: Middle click doesn't work!
    I have the same problem, I can't scroll using the mouse wheel,
    188BET靠谱吗my Zotero version is 7.0.0-beta.66+d0299a1ac (64-bit)
    Windows 10
  • Same issue!Im on 7.0.0-beta.68+c31a40c74 (64-bit) and middle click does not trigger the round scroll cursor!

I don't really know what's the problem but this is inconvenient as I am using trackpoint, now I have to press pg down/up or scroll using touchbar :(
  • I have the same issue!188BET靠谱吗It appeared when I updated to the zotero 7 beta.
  • https://superuser.com/questions/477168/is-there-a-name-for-scrolling-by-middle-click-rather-than-spinning-the-wheel

"Auto-scrolling is a feature that can be found in most mainstream modern applications.Pressing the middle mouse button transfers the application into the auto-scrolling mode.In this mode, moving the mouse down starts scrolling down the contents even when the mouse is no longer moving.The scroll speed depends on the distance between the current mouse location and the mouse press location.This works for all four directions (up, down, left, right)."

I have the same issue!Middle-click not working!188BET靠谱吗It appeared when I updated to the zotero 7 beta.

188BET靠谱吗my Zotero version is 7.0.0-beta.66+d0299a1ac (64-bit)
    Windows 10
  • Same problem.
    188BET靠谱吗Zotero 7.0.0-beta.93+4866c467d (64-bit)
    Windows 11 23 H2

I cannot use "auto-scroll" when middle clicking (i.e.clicking on the mouse wheel).In fact, middle clicking does not seem to do anything, except when I click on an in-document link.Then it behaves like a left-button click.

Please fix this, I'm really missing the option to scroll via middle clicking.Especially when zooming in a lot to analyze a small figure, middle scrolling is perfect because it also allows to scroll left-right and not only up-down.

Thank you in advance :)
  • @Luramand others: This should be fixed now in beta 103.
  • edited 28 days ago
    Nice!Thank you! @dstillman
  • edited 8 days ago
    188BET靠谱吗As of 7.0.0beta.117+794dc6bf0-3, this still isn't working out of the box on my machine (Arch Linux, installed via AUR zotero-beta-bin).

This fixed it for me: Edit → Settings → Advanced → Config Editor → general.autoScroll → true
  • edited 8 days ago
    @slipthay: Thanks.It looks like Firefox doesn't enable auto-scroll by default on Linux, but does enable middle-mouse paste.188BET靠谱吗I'm not totally clear on the interaction between those if both are enabled or how Wayland (which Zotero 7 now uses if available) affects this, but for now we've gone ahead and enabled general.autoScroll in 7.0.1-beta.1.
  • Thank you, sounds good to me.188BET靠谱吗I'm on Wayland, and my experience (just tested in Firefox and in Zotero 7) is that `middlemouse.paste` can be true even if `general.autoScroll` is also true.The only limitation in this case is that you cannot initiate an auto-scroll while the cursor is over a text input!with `middlemouse.paste` false, you can initiate an auto-scroll over a text input.

I personally turn middle-mouse pasting off wherever I can, but my gut tells me that leaving it on would be the more popular decision, especially since it would not prevent auto-scrolling in most cases.188BET靠谱吗It frustrates me that Electron apps (Discord, Slack, Spotify) do not allow you to disable middle-mouse pasting, and I'm glad Zotero at least offers an easy backdoor solution.
  • @slipthay: That's super helpful — thanks.
  • 188BET靠谱吗In Zotero 7.0.1, available now, auto-scroll is enabled by default on Linux.
Sign Inor Registerto comment.