188BET靠谱吗Zotero 7 won't open on Windows [caused by Cisco Secure]

edited yesterday at 5:33am
188BET靠谱吗Updated from Zotero 6 to 7.188BET靠谱吗Installation completed successfully, but Zotero won't start.When I double-click the icon or select from the start menu, nothing happens.188BET靠谱吗I tried uninstalling completely, deleting the C:/Program Files(x86)/Zotero folder and then reinstalling the 64-bit version.Same problem.Uninstalled and installed the 32-bit version.Same problem.Multiple computer restarts, both in between and after installations, also have not changed anything.Any ideas?
Running Windows 11 on a Surface Pro 7.188BET靠谱吗Zotero 6 worked great before.
  • Is this an institutional computer?Are you running non-standard security software?

What happens if you start from the command line with debug output logging?

188BET靠谱吗//www.brodersterzo.com/support/debug_output#logging_to_a_terminal_window
  • 188BET靠谱吗I tried the following commands: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\zotero.exe" -ZoteroDebugText

and

188BET靠谱吗"C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\zotero.exe" -ZoteroDebugText -console

but nothing shows up in the console.

And yes, it is an institutional computer so does have non-standard security software.188BET靠谱吗I have admin rights though and have installed and used many other software on it before, including Zotero 6.
  • First, there's no reason to be running the 32-bit version, so you should remove that completely and install the 64-bit version.

Beyond that, what exactly happens when you start it from the console?Does the process close immediately and put you back at the command line?

188BET靠谱吗No one else has reported this, so you may need to try temporarily disabling security software (or excluding Zotero from it) to see if that helps.188BET靠谱吗If you can't do that, you'd want to start by checking its logs to see if it logged anything about Zotero.
  • Yes, it closes immediately and returns back to the command line.Even with the debug option, nothing returns.
  • edited 5 days ago
    What's the security software you're running?We've had another report of this that was caused by Cisco Secure Client.Disabling it fixed the problem.If that's what you're using, you should report this to your IT department.
  • Well, you should report it to your IT department either way.The security software is very likely at fault here, and we can't really say any more on this without some sort of logging from the system about what's happening.
  • Yes, it is Cisco Secure.I let them know and they are looking at it.188BET靠谱吗I do have the event logs from when I try to open Zotero.If that would help the developers avoid this issue I could probably send it.
  • 188BET靠谱吗Yes, we'd be curious to see the logs — if possible, please send them to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.But this will most likely be on them to fix.
  • edited 2 days ago
    I will send.As an update though, my IT temporarily disabled Cisco Secure, restarted, reinstalled version 7.0.1 and still could not get it to open.We then ran in compatibility mode for Windows 8 and it worked fine.But to make things even more confusing, after running once in compatibility mode, I turned that mode off, and it now opens fine without it.
  • dbroueche

I am getting the exact same behavior on the computers where I work.Will not open, tried uninstalling cisco amp, does not help.188BET靠谱吗Zotero 6 works fine.

Run with Windows 8 compatibility mode once, can turn it off and it will still run fine...

Any other fixes?
  • 188BET靠谱吗Thought I'd add to the thread that I'm having the same issue - Zotero 7 will install but won't open on my institutional computer running the Cisco Secure client.188BET靠谱吗No issues with Zotero 6.I've reached out to our IT department in the meantime.
  • @elwom: Have you tried the same thing?188BET靠谱吗Switching Zotero to run in Windows 8 compatibility mode, running Zotero, and then turning compatibility mode off?
  • @dstillman- yes!sorry, just tried switching to Windows 8 compatibility mode and it worked like a charm (running Windows 11 if that's at all helpful).Thanks!
  • edited yesterday at 5:39am
    Sorry, to clarify, this might actually be Cisco Secure Endpoint (formerly AMP for Endpoints), not Cisco Secure Client.The latter is closer to a VPN, which wouldn't seem to be relevant here, though it's a little unclear — Cisco Secure Client may have some endpoint-protection features as well.In any case, some part of the Cisco Secure suite seems to be breaking things.

188BET靠谱吗We'll trying to figure out what the Cisco software is doing that's causing this to happen and why running Zotero once in compatibility mode fixes it.

188BET靠谱吗If anyone can find a log file or error message from Cisco Secure (Endpoint?) that actually refers to blocking the Zotero app from running, please send to support@zotero.org.

@elwom: Thanks.By all accounts you should be able to turn compatibility mode off now as well.
  • 188BET靠谱吗My bad - it would definitely be Cisco Secure Endpoint from my end since I wasn't running or logged into the client when I tried to open Zotero 7 the first time.188BET靠谱吗FYI I've been able to turn off compatibility mode and run Zotero - thanks for your help!
  • I misspoke before, if i stop secure secure endpoint service on the local computer - it will launch...

But if I check the secure endpoint web console it does not specifically say anything is blocked.I will try to dig into it more and find how cisco is blocking it
Sign Inor Registerto comment.